Wednesday 12 March 2014

Perseverance

Even though I`ve been doing Yoshinkan Aikido less than two months, it has already tested my physical as well as psychological endurance. The Kihon Dosa requires much perseverance as the movements feel so unnatural at first. My sensei told me the other night as I was training that because I am tall (5`11 but taller than some of the other students in the class) that it is harder for me to get my hips lower, which is necessary for correct kamae. Jokingly he told me to go as low as I could (while maintaining correct posture) and when I can go no lower... to go lower! The Kihon Dosa is quite painful on my lower back as I try to align my shoulders and hips and place my bodyweight forward. Thus I am in quite a bit of discomfort as I train.

The other aspect of perseverance, which I am also now discovering is to do with bad habits. While practising Shomen Uchi Ikkajo Osae 1, I must block a strike with my forearm. However, the angle of my arm was too horizontal and therefore too weak to protect myself from a real strike. It is only a small thing, but so essential to correct and get right for effective self-defence. I am learning that Yoshinkan Aikido takes self-protection very seriously. The Kihon Dosa as well as the waza are designed to protect and to cultivate strong posture. As these slowly become ingrained into my muscle memory I will find myself naturally being far more able to defend myself without using brute strength, relying on bodyweight and good kamae to displace my attackers strength and assault.

Naturally all things are difficult when you first begin. Nevertheless Yoshinkan Aikido is proving a challenge I have not faced before in the use of my body. Due to the seemingly unnatural movement and training of the body through the Kihon Dosa and the emphasis on blending with your attackers force following the path of least resistance, Yoshinkan Aikido is not a martial art that gives you practical self-defence application quickly. This could frustrate many a student who seeks a much more direct approach to self-defence through the martial arts. However, I am even more determined now due to my exposure to Yoshinkan Aikido to persevere and master this beautiful and highly sophisticated martial art.

I believe perseverance will bear much fruit later down the path of my training and that Yoshinkan Aikido is a truly worthwhile pursuit and endeavour. The road will be difficult and will require much greater resolve than I am needing to employ now, but, "nothing worth doing is ever easy!"

No comments:

Post a Comment